Enjoy Happywala Friendship day !!
Click here to see Upma or Uppit recipe in Marathi
Indian Upma recipe
- 2 Cups thick semolina (Suji or Rava)
- 2 Bigger in size onions finely chopped
- 1 Bigger in size potato
- 1 Tomato [Optional]
- 4-5 Green Chilies finely chopped
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- 3-4 Dried Red Chilies
- Salt for taste
- Sugar as in required
- ½ Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Ghee
- ½ Cup Grated Coconut
- Chopped finely Coriander leaves
- Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, asafetida for tempering
- In a Kadai on light flame heat the semolina (Suji or Rava) until it becomes light pink in color. Keep aside from gas flame.
- In a bowl take 4 cups of water and keep it for boiling
- Take one cooking pot, add 3 tsp ghee and heat for some time. Once the ghee is bit hot add mustard seeds (only few), Cumin seeds and asafetida to temper the mixture. To this mixture add curry leaves, dried red chilies (No need to cut these chilies), Onion and chopped potato. Finally add chopped green chilies and let it cook for some time (at least for 2 steams)
- Check the Potatoes and see whether they got boiled up if yes, add the heated semolina (Suji or Rava) and mix the mixture well. Add salt for taste and sugar as in required. If you like Tomato flavor then you can add chopped Tomatoes also [this is optional]
- Slower the gas flame, in the Semolina (Rava) add the boiled water (which we kept for boiling in step 2) step by step slowly in small quantity while stirring continuously.
- Once we added boiled water and when the Semolina mixture is little thick, add 1/2 lemon juice and cover the pot with plate. Wait for 2 steams
- Our upma/Uppit is ready to serve with grated coconut, coriander leaves.
Click here to see Upma or Uppit recipe in Marathi
Check our all other recipes in English here
To Go back to Home page and explore other categories please click here
Today phones became smart, computers became smart, politicians became smart and even our young Child’s becoming smart. In-short everything and everyone getting smart with a flow of time and need of an age. Little late to this mission finally our Indian Cities are also getting smarter now. Thanks to Shri Narendra Modi’jee a current prime minister of India for initializing the “Smart City” project phase 1 where in India’s 20 cities undergoing smart city works and project.
What is smart city? Or what is smart city project in India?
Actually there is no concrete answer to this question as there is no universally accepted definition of smart city and even in India we cannot define the exact meaning of smart city as it varies from city to city. However there are couple of boundaries defined by govn. Of India. The smart city mission mainly focusing on to develop entire eco-system of urban which is represented by four pillars of comprehensive development –Institutional, physical, social and economic infrastructure.
What elements does the smart city project include?
The core infrastructure elements in a smart city project would be as follows and this is per Govn of India details shared in below URL.
- Adequate water supply.
- Assured electricity supply.
- Sanitation, including solid waste management
- Efficient urban mobility and public transport
- Affordable housing, especially for the poor
- Robust IT connectivity and digitalization.
- Good governance, especially e-Governance and citizen participation
- Sustainable environment
- Safety and security of citizens particularly women, Children and the elderly
- Health and education
You can find detailed information of this mission and project from below link.
Ok, this is brief about Smart city project lead by Shri Narendra Modi’jee then why we subjected this article with Belgaum name? Ok, ok that’s because Belgaum is one of the cities selected for smart city project in phase 1.
Below is the list of 20 cities which will be part of Smart City project
|1||Bhubaneswar, Odisha||11||Indore, Madhya Pradesh|
|2||Pune, Maharashtra||12||New Delhi Municipal corporation|
|3||Jaipur, Rajasthan||13||Coimbatore, Tamil nadu|
|4||Surat, Gujarat||14||Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh|
|6||Ahmedabad, Gujarat||16||Udaipur, Rajasthan|
|7||Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh||17||Guwahati, Assam|
|8||Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh||18||Chennai, Tamil nadu|
|9||Solapur, Maharashtra||19||Ludhiana, Punjab|
|10||Davangere, Karnataka||20||Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh|
A small brief about Belgaum/Belagavi:
A cosmopolitan city Belgaum is also commercial Hub and divisional headquarters of north Karnataka. Belgaum ranks second to Bangalore in the state in terms of overall exports (mainly related to the automotive industry).It is an important source of Vegetables, fruits, meat, poultry, fish, mining production and wood. Belgaum is also hub for foundry industries with more than 200+ foundries running.
About people, culture and languages:
Belgaum shares its borders with two Indian states namely Maharashtra and Goa. The large population of the city speaks Marathi and Kannada however we could see all other language peoples leaving with harmony in the city.
Geographically Belgaum is important Hub as it is equidistance from 3 Metro Cities in India namely Mumbai which is capital of Maharashtra, Hyderabad which is capital Telangana, Bangalore which is capital of Karnataka state. The city is well connected via road, rail and by Air. It is just 120-150 kms from another tourist capital of India i.e Goa state.
You can always browse Wikipedia or any other sites on internet covering more information on Belgaum.
Do check my previous articles exploring some of the good to go places in Belgaum city to spend your quality time along with your family and friends.
Before we conclude this article and wait for to see Belgaum as smart city, check out below images of the city which were captured when city was not smart enough with respect to required infrastructure (Belgaum Before Smart City) but it’s still beautiful. These pics covering most of the major parts of the city and showcase Arial view of the city. The Belgaum city undergoing some of the developmental works with respect to city infrastructure currently and the images which we have below may not reflect same way once these works done. However these memories will help always to cherish olden days or city when we are in future in next few years.
Hope you like them…awaiting to become part of my Smart city 🙂 and you..?
Belgaum Before becoming a Smart City