Today would like to share little, simplified information on Computer Boot process. Before we work on our computers and on GUI (Graphical User Interface) and when the computer is powered on the following series of pre-programmed actions takes place
- The BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) does a power –on Self-Test (Called as POST) and initiates the boot process
- The Boot-strap process locates the mater Boot Record (MBR) of the primary boot device (HardDisk, cd, floppy disk, USB) as determined by the BIOS
- The MBR of the bootable device points the boot –strap to the Boot Sector of the active Partition.
- The Boot-strap then loads the OS boot loader in to the computers main memory (RAM). At this point the role of the BIOS is completes and control is transferred to the OS.
- The OS boot loader then loads its various components in to the computers main memory completing the boot sequence and providing the user its user interface.