You may not realize it, but your computer and your vehicle have something in common: they both need regular maintenance. No, you don’t need to change your computer’s oil. But you should be updating your software, keeping your antivirus subscription up to date, and checking for viruses.
Here are some basics maintenance tasks you can do today to start improving your computer’s security. Be sure you make these part of your ongoing maintenance as well.
- Sign up for software update e-mail notices. Many software companies will send you e-mail whenever a software update is available. This is particularly important for your operating system (e.g., Microsoft/Mac), your antivirus program, and your firewall.
- Register your software. If you still have registration forms for existing software, send them in. And be sure to register new software in the future. This is another way for the software manufacturer to alert you when new updates are available.
- Install software updates immediately.When you get an update notice, download the update immediately and install it. (Remember, downloading and installing are two separate tasks.)
A few simple steps will help you keep your files safe and clean.
- Step 1: Update your software
- Step 2: Backup your files
- Step 3: Use antivirus software and keep it updated (Some of the Best Antivirus software’s are McAfee, Symantec, Trend Micro etc)
- Step 4: Change your passwords
Developing ongoing maintenance practices
Now that you’ve done some ground work, it’s time to start moving into longer term maintenance tasks. These are all tasks that you should do today (or as soon as possible) to get started. But for best results, make these a part of a regular maintenance schedule.
- Back up your files. Backing up your files simply means creating a copy of your computer files that you can use in the event the originals are lost.
- Scan your files with up to date antivirus software. Use your antivirus scan tool regularly to search for potential computer viruses and worms. Also, check your antivirus program’s user manual to see if you can schedule an automatic scan of your computer.
- Change your passwords. Using the same password increases the odds that someone else will discover it. Change all of your passwords regularly to reduce your risk. Also, choose your passwords carefully and keep them complex.
These are very basic Tips to maintain your computer upto date and keeping your data safe. Hope the information above helps.
Hope you liked
“Basic Tips to secure and protect your data”..?
If yes, leave a comment or share with your colleagues, friends