How to Back Up the Registry
Before you edit the registry, export the keys in the registry that you plan to edit, or back up the whole registry. If a problem occurs, you can then follow the steps how-to restore the registry to its previous state.
How to Export Registry Keys
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Export.
- In the Save in box, select the boxs at the bottom the bottom according to weather you want to export all or only selected branches of the registry.
- Next select a location in which to save the backup .reg file. In the File name box, type a file name, and then click Save.How to Restore the Registry
- To restore registry keys that you exported, double-click the .reg file that you saved.